Last Updated on by Hema Mehta
A career in digital marketing is very rewarding as well as challenging!
Demand for competent and skilled digital marketers is ever-growing and will continue. Brands are intrigued in investing more in digital marketing and looking for bright professionals to sail the ship. It doesn’t matter whether you are working for a company or your agency or working as a freelancer, if you have adequate knowledge and skill in the domain, you’ll surely earn an impressive amount. Your earning will be many times higher than a traditional marketer. Though the traditional forms of marketing will not vanish entirely from the scene, digital marketing is going to be the major game changer with up to 85% share. Traditional modes of marketing exist and will exist, but the digital way of marketing can keep it far behind. It has already established itself as the most cost-effective, target-specific, result-oriented, and measurable mode of marketing. Particularly due to inbound and immersive nature, it could add many wings to marketing. There are many reasons to envision the bright and promising future of this mode and career in it.
A career in digital marketing is, however, not less challenging. What do I mean by it? It’s not everyone’s cup of tea! Being a marketing consultant for not less than seven years, I know how much commitment and hard work it requires. Furthermore, while you are talking of a career, the strength and demand of a field are not the only aspects. There are many other aspects to think about. Therefore, you need to consider a lot of perspectives while you are opting to be a digital marketing professional. Two crucial aspects are – evaluate yourself and know the basics of the niche.
Let me provide you some clues so that you can have the right decision.
Ask yourself some simple questions:
- Are you hard working for learning new things and applying the same ever while?
- Can you work enough to train your brain to be smarter day by day?
- Can you go for strategy, technology, and creativity altogether?
- Are you visionary enough or train yourself to be adequately visionary?
If the answers are definitely “Yes”, a career in digital marketing will be enormously rewarding for you.
Like any other marketing system, digital marketing also demands alert and dynamic brains to create a precise strategy for a situation in a call. Building a strategy for business growth requires a lot of care and a competitive vision.
Digital technology is vast and enriching every day. You need to understand the technical specification for digital marketing and upgrade you regularly. Each day you should be prepared to understand the new technical invention in your niche.
Creativity is the most important aspect that you should have to be a successful marketing professional. Due to the inbound nature of most of the digital marketing componentss, creativity in delivering the message is of utmost importance.
If you feel comfortable in all these aspects and ready to work hard for achieving your goal, digital marketing is surely one of the best options to choose.
Please note that there is no ‘magic mantra’ that makes you able to learn the strategy, technology, and creativity just within a few days. You should have the patience to learn step by step and apply the same in the practical field. Regular evaluation of achievement needs to be your primary goal.
Before opting for a career, you should have some basic idea of what you are going to be.
Know the Niche Area
Digital marketing is an umbrella term. It encompasses many components out of which you can choose your favorite ones. Most prominent area are:
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Content Marketing
- Analytics Tools Handling
- Pay Per Click (PPC) Management
- Social Media Marketing (SMM)
- Mobile Marketing
- E-commerce Specialization
- Website Development, Design, and Audit
Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
SEO is crucial to any business website. It ensures that a company website is all over the web and potential customers can find it easily. An SEO expert has the responsibility of driving traffic to a website through optimizing its visibility for search engines like Google and Bing. In order to ensure the same, an SEO executive performs a number of tasks. The most prominent are:
- Auditing a website to check whether it’s SEO friendly or not.
- Making changes on the website so that it’ll get better rank by search engines like Google.
- Building and submitting XML sitemaps to search engines.
- Developing quality content for the website or asking the content team to do so.
- Developing meta-title and meta-description for search engines.
- Managing tags and categories.
- Evaluating content score.
- Conducting keyword research and including relevant keywords in the content.
- Conducting regular rank checking and SEO improving.
Due to its complex nature and strict criteria, SEO is not an easy job. Very few digital marketers can really prove themselves to be able SEO experts. If you are keen on understanding the technical criteria and strategic requirement for better search engine ranking and able to develop regular quality content, SEO is a rewarding choice for you. Due to the lack of adequate competent professionals and its inherent complexity, SEO experts get higher salaries than any other digital marketers. For the same reason, if you are well skilled in the niche, you can get a lucrative job easily.
Content marketing is widely accepted as the king of all marketing methods. Second to SEO experts, content marketers are highly paid professionals. Since SEO depends highly on content, content marketers with good familiarity with the earlier, get an exciting job offer with a better salary. If you possess good writing or/and media developing and editing skill with vast knowledge on a different topic in your niche, you should certainly choose this career.
Responsibilities of a content marketer includes, but not limited to:
- Creating content that has all the qualities of going viral.
- Making sure that all the content is original, unique, relevant, and free from errors.
- Including maximum possible amount of keywords in the content.
- Making sure that the content is promoted well through SEO, PPC, SMM, and emails.
- Doing research on content trends and subject matters.
Analytics Tools Handling
Analytics tools such as, Google Analytics, help businesses keep an open eye on the result of their online marketing activities. An analytics expert primarily set different metrics to observe various aspects of traffic to the company website, the effect of different marketing campaign, data insight and possibilities of re-marketing. They play as the coordinator of different units of digital marketing. If you have good analytical ability and marketing insight, you should choose this niche.
Pay Per Click (PPC) Management
PPC professionals have great demand since they are able to generate a lot of qualified lead for the company with less investment. Search engine marketing (SEM), display network marketing (DNM), video marketing, and shopping ads are major forms of PPC. The responsibilities of a PPC expert include:
- Company’s PPC account management
- Keyword research for ad copies
- Developing and publishing ads
- Creating, testing and managing ad groups
- Refining landing pages for better marketing result
- Cost per acquisition (CPA) and cost per conversion (CPC) management
- Generating report of the campaign
Social Media Marketing (SMM)
The growing popularity of social media and the cost-effectiveness of advertising on social platforms – are the two main reasons why companies are investing more in SMM. Due to heavy demand in this niche and its cool nature, anyone having a tendency for digital marketing chooses to be a social media marketer. Major job responsibilities include:
- Keeping open eye on changing trends of social media
- Planning and strategy building
- Target setting and target specific advertising
- Developing and publishing content
- Keeping regular record of reports
A lot of creativity, good communication skills, and a wide knowledge of all social media trends are the basic requirement to be a successful SMM professional.
Though all the forms of digital marketing primarily target mobile users, mobile marketing still has a different meaning. Mobile marketers generally target the apps and games and put relevant ads in the free versions of the apps. Since free versions have no option to opt-out of ads and the majority of people don’t want to pay for an app or a game, the strategy works effectively. Along with a strong digital marketing strategy, good skills in mobile app development can steer your career as a mobile marketer.
Although it’s the earliest form of digital marketing, demand for email marketers has suddenly increased in the last two years. In comparison to the earlier days, companies started investing thrice for email marketing. Good communication skills and techniques of how to generate quality lead through emails are the two important prerequisites to choose a career in this niche. Job responsibilities include:
- Strategically placing subscription forms in the company website
- Using pop-ups and light boxes for collecting emails of the users
- Preparing and sorting mailer lists
- Setting automated emails
- developing killer content for emails
- Observing report and re-marketing
It’s the highly specialized niche of digital marketing. Since the tendency towards an online purchase in ever-increasing, all businesses are looking for adequate specialists in e-commerce marketing. That you require to be an expert in e-commerce are:
- Good understanding of e-commerce
- Observation of online purchase habit and behavior of people
- Ability to analyze the competition
- Product, pricing, and offer management strategy
Website Development, Design and Audit
A website is the primary requirement of any digital marketing method. All the approaches – SEO, PPC, SMM, content, or email altogether aim at driving traffic to the company website. Hence, a website designer plays a key role in digital marketing. Since all businesses need websites, the demand for web professionals is naturally high. The major role of a web professional in digital marketing are:
- Developing and designing an SEO friendly website or redesigning an existing website
- Ensuring the website is well structured and user friendly
- Looking for keyword density in the content of the website
- Regular auditing of the website
- Fixing issues and debugging
- Social media web tools management, such as Facebook Open Graph (OG) or Twitter Cards
- Regular maintenance
The good news for those who are interested in digital marketing is that there are very few able professionals in the niche than the demand. People who are lazy, not dynamic, don’t possess visionary outlook generally neither will be interested in the career nor they can do any good even after perusing the same.
After reading the complete post, if you think about yourself as fit for the profession, you should go for learning the same and begin your career. Starting from a Digital Marketing Executive, you can grow your career up to Digital Marketing Consultant within a few years of practice.
If you have any further query, please don’t hesitate to ask me in the comment box. Wishing you all the best.